All of Paul’s epistles were written to churches in the form of theological letters. Many of the new churches strayed from the “pure teachings of the true Gospel” for whatever reason. An example is the church at Corinth. Paul received a letter from the leaders of that church because some members were erring from the ways of righteousness! Arguing over how to practice the Lord’s Supper, suing one another and even sexual/carnal problems.
James writings are for the practical purposes of everyday living. Most Bible scholars believe this James is the brother of Jesus. The main emphasis of his writing is to point out that saving faith needs to result in changed behavior!
Taming the Tongue!? James 3 (ESV)
1) Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.
2) For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.
3) If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well.
4) Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs.
5) So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!
6) And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell.
7) For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind,
8) but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
9) With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God.
10) From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers,these things ought not to be so.
11) Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water?
12) Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.
WOW!!! Those are some harsh words! So what or how can we tame the tongue? It’s full of poison and is a restless evil! Simply James says ” but NO human being can tame his tongue…” But wait, the rest of the chapter gives us the hope we need and how we are to know what to speak, where to speak, when to speak and how! We are to seek wisdom from above!!
13) Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.
14) But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth.
15 ) This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic.
16) For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.
You want to know how to tame that tongue?? Here’s your answer
17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.
18 And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
Getting rid of the sour, proud, hurtful, ungodly and vile words spoken from our mouths is to fill our hearts with God’s Wisdom. Where do we get that from? The Holy Word~~quiet alone time with Him in prayer~~fellowship with other believers who love of our Lord Jesus as much as we do~~and
Asking the Lord, for it His will!